A BRIEF HISTORY
Bible Baptist Church, El Reno, Oklahoma had its beginning in March, 1937, as a mission out of Bible Baptist Church, Oklahoma City. Reverend S. Lee Kidd began holding services in his home at 1205 Sunset Drive here in El Reno.
An open air revival began in May of 1937. Records indicate that the meeting continued for a fifteen weeks, having 35 people were saved, and there were 21 additions to the church.
In 1946, Bible Baptist purchased a bus and may have started the church bus ministry in El Reno. The new year began with newspaper articles advertising “The only church in El Reno that provides free transportation to and from services.”
Throughout the forties and fifties, revival meetings were held with preaching by Dr. Art Wilson, Jay Boyd Davis, John Carerra, Billy James Hargis, and Ralph Irvine. For many of those years, Bible Baptist was one of the only churches with air conditioning.
In 1968, Pastor Don Bowles (currently a missionary to Zambia) led the church to begin participating in faith promise mission giving and held the first (annual) Faith Promise Missions Conference.
In 1979, under the leadership of Pastor John Aldrich, the church voted to purchase the current property at 1440 S. Country Club Rd. and approved the basic plan for the new building. The cost was to be approximately $400,000. Ground breaking for the new building was held in March of 1980, and in May, construction had begun. The building was completed in September with a special dedication service.
In 1994, with Steve Ostten as pastor, the church voted to begin giving sacrificially toward the construction of the Family Center. In 1998, construction began and various men in the congregation donated many hours of labor, using their skills to save labor costs and to finish the interior. The Family Center was completed and began full use in February of 2001.
The history of Bible Baptist Church has been to preach the truths of God’s Word without apology and to carry the Gospel to this community and its surrounding areas. Today, our pastor, Brian J. Trull, is leading Bible Baptist in the same direction to be disciples of Jesus Christ and to disciple others to follow likewise. The entire facility and its contents are completely paid for and stands as a testament of God’s faithfulness to His faithful stewards.